Xylitol

 Did you know that xylitol is sweetener (sugar alcohol) you can find in our human foods such as sugar-free chewing gums,candies,baked goods,oral care products etc??

When we eat them,there is no harm to our body but,when dogs eats them,it can be a problems.

According to ASPCA,some dogs that consumed xylitol showed sign of hypoglycemia (sudden drop of blood sugar),resulting in depression,loss of coordination, seizure,  or liver failure. (To read more,click here.)

How xylitol was discovered…

According to Dr Eric Dunayer, Xylitol was first identified by German chemist in 1891. Then,hundred of years later,it was used as sweetener for sugar – free products because it is sweet and it has 2/3 the calories of sugar, and it also started showing up in ingredients in oral care products because Xylitol has anticariogenic property: it prevent the oral bacteria from producing the acid that damage the teeth surface.

People absorb oral Xylitol slowly 49-95%,but dog absorb Xylitol fast and completely. Some indication of ill after ingesting Xylitol are vomiting,lethargy etc. (to read more on PDF file,click here)

So,Xylitol is toxic to your dogs. Before you are tempted to give any human foods,you may want to check if the food has Xylitol in them. Also, to blush the dog teeth,you cannot use human toothpaste. It has Xylitol in it. Please use tooth paste designed for dogs.

Also, when you decided to use oral care products (dental rinse) for dogs instead of using tooth paste,please make sure to read the ingredients list. Here is  ingredients list of sample dental rinse products: Purified water,enzyme,chlorhexidine gluconate,glycerine,zinc gluconate,potassium sorbate,Xylitol,sodium benzoate, FD&C yellow #5,polysorbate 20, FD&C Blue No 1.

 According to wikipedia, in the list above, you can find more sugar alcohol ingredients; Glycerine,and you can find salt with name of gluconate. Potassium sorbate is salt of potassium,then,yellow #5 is lemon yellow food coloring. So, summarizing what I googled for each ingredients using wikipedia, dental rinse I was looking at has sugar alcohol,salt,and food coloring,enzyme and water…. I do not think I would like to use this to our dog.

When you think your dog ingested something toxic,you can call to ASPCA toxic control center.


ASPCA emergency line.The number is at (888) 426-4435. A $60 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.ASPCA home page is here.

Apr 20, 2009 | 0 | Toxic foods for dogs

Leave a Reply